Back to Home
Please remember to use surrey\ before your username!


Translate this page

Please note, we cannot guarantee accuracy of translations

Chinese | Hindi | Milay | More options


Please note that the Union will be closed from 26th March - 12th April due to the University's Easter closure dates. The Union Advice Inbox will not be monitored during this time. 

If you have emailed for support, we strongly recommend you read over the information on this page, and adhere to any deadlines you've been given by the University. However, if you urgently require support, you can request more time from the University in order to seek support before continuing with the process you're undergoing. We will respond as soon as we can upon re-opening, thank you for your patience. 

If you are concerned that you will miss your appeal deadline before you seek advice, then we would recomend you submit your form to appeal on Surrey Self-Serve and let OSCAR know that you are still writing your statement. This will ensure that you have appealed within the deadline, but gives us more time to support you.

For academic appeals for semester two 19/20 please click here:

What is an academic appeal?​

You can make an academic appeal to change a decision made by the University, such as the decision to terminate your course or the outcome of an exam or assessment. 

Other decisions that can be appealed include: penalties for academic misconduct, decisions about your progression and a rejection of a request for Extenuating Circumstances. You will need to read the Academic Appeal regulations for a full list of the decisions you can appeal.

IMPORTANT - Academic appeals need to be submitted within 10 working days (weekends do not count) of you being formally notified of the University's decision e.g. from the date on your course termination letter or your results. Anything outside of these 10 working days makes it a lot harder to appeal and you must have valid evidence to demonstrate why you were unable to appeal before the deadline. 

Unfortunatly, you can not appeal a mark because you believe you are deserving of a better grade, as this would be considered "academic judgement" and you can not appeal on these grounds. However, if you believe your grade was wrong as a result of error or bias, you may be able to appeal.

If you are wishing to appeal against a disciplinary or minor offense, please click below:

Register as a candidate (1).png

What can the Students' Union do?

We know that making an academic appeal can be stressful as you have to apply within short time frames. It is strongly advised that you seek advice from our Academic Advice team when making an academic appeal as they are able to look through your statement, and your evidence and let you know where they think your case can be strengthened, to give you the best chance of your appeal being upheld by the University.

Our advisors can look through your appeal to make sure it is in the best position to be upheld by the University

We recomend that you email us: 

Why can I appeal and on what grounds? 

You can make an academic appeal if you can show evidence of one or more of these grounds:

  • That the University staff or bodies have made an error in procedure, and you can evidence this

  • That the staff or bodies have shown bias or prejudice

  • That your performance as a student was impacted by extenuating circumstances that weren't reported at the time for valid reasons

  • That your performance as a student was impacted by extenuating circumstances that were reported at the time but now you have new evidence that wasnt considered before

What do I need to do first?

First you need to read the University Regulations for Academic Appeals. We are happy to answer questions if there is anything you do not understand but as you are the one making an appeal it is important that you fully understand the University's requirements and procedures.

The Regulations for Academic Appeals, along with a video showing how to upload an appeal can be found on the web-site of the Office of Student Complaints, Appeals and Regulations (OSCAR) - please see this link -

If you are appealing on the grounds of procedural error or bias:

If you are appealing on one of the first two grounds, you must have evidence to prove that your claim is correct. It is on you as the student to ensure that you have the evidence to support your appeal. You might want to consider emails that you have sent to the University as evidence or, you might want to look through the relevant code of practice to see where University staff/bodies have not followed process with care. 

You can find the Code of Practise for the University here: 

If you are appealing on the grounds of Extenuating circumstances (ECs) that you could not report at the time:

You will need to make sure that you read the regulations for ECs to make sure that you have valid grounds for an EC first and that your evidence is considered valid. You can find more information on ECs here:

If you did not report your ECs before your assessment or deadline, you will also need to provide evidence that one or more of the following apply to your case:

  • that you were awaiting a diagnosis of their illness or its confirmation and you submitted a request at the appropriate time whilst awaiting receipt of the evidence 
  • that the nature your illness affected the your capacity to report it 
  • that you did not have access at the time to their medical practitioner (including GP or clinical specialist) or registered counsellor, their minister of religion, or solicitor, to provide support and the required independent evidence

  • That a significant traumatic event affected your capacity to report it 

If you are appealing on the grounds of Extenuating circumstances (ECs) that you did report at the time:

You will need to provide evidence of your original Extenuating Circumstances application, and submit any additional evidence that you have gathered to support you EC. 

You will need to make sure that you read the regulations for ECs to make sure that you have valid grounds for an EC first and that your evidence is considered valid. You can find more information on ECs here:

What Next?

Decide what grounds your appeal will be on. 

  • Write your statement – make sure you are clear about what you are appealing, on what grounds, what happened and the outcome you are seeking.

  • Gather your evidence. The burden of proof is on you as the student appealing, so it is vital that you have evidence to support your case.

  • Submit the online form. This can be accessed via Student Self-Serve. A video explaining the form can be found on the OSCAR website.​


Upper Border 1.png    

I need further advice:​

You can make an appointment with one of our Academic Advice team. Appointments are for a maximum of 30 minutes, Monday - Friday 10-4pm.

Please email with the following information:

Name​, Course, Year of study, Details of your case, including what your circumstances are, What you need advice on, when you recieved the outcome you wish to appeal, and your submission deadline for your appeal

Bottom Border 1.png

Visit Us

Union House
University of Surrey
Stag Hill, Guildford

Contact Us
01483 689 223

The University of Surrey Students’ Union is a private limited company, registered in England & Wales with registered number 07470232, registered at Union House, Guildford, GU2 7XH. The Union is also a registered charity, registered with charity number 1142479

Copyright University of Surrey Student's Union 2018